[Freeipa-users] What does the "u" mean in IPA messages?

Petr Viktorin pviktori at redhat.com
Mon Mar 4 10:00:38 UTC 2013

On 03/01/2013 10:30 PM, John Dennis wrote:
> On 03/01/2013 04:01 PM, John Dennis wrote:

>>> I haven't actually started yet, I was just getting my bearings.
>>>
>>> I was going to wrap the commands in some scripts so I can do things
>>> like allow an auditor to view the results of an HBAC test without
>>> being able to modify them.  Among other things.  Is there a way to
>>> turn off the diagnostic messages?  They appear to be on by default.
>>>

>> INFO messages are output when the verbose flag is enabled
>> DEBUG messages are output when the debug flag is enabled
>>
>> Those flags can either be set in a config file (/etc/ipa/default.conf or
>> ~/.ipa/default.con) or via a command line argument.
>>
>> If you haven't passed the verbose flag to the command then it must be
>> set in one of the config files.
>>
>> Petr Viktorin <pviktori at redhat.com> recently cleaned up how messages are
>> managed in the command line tools (I don't think this has made it out
>> into a public release yet). So there may be changes coming you'll want
>> to be aware of, perhaps Petr might fill us in on what's different.
>>
>> I think we had some client tools that forced verbose to be enabled when
>> it should have respected a command line option and/or config option. I
>> think that's some of what Petr fixed.
>>

> Here is the design document for the work Petr did, HTH
>
> http://freeipa.org/page/V3/Logging_and_output

I don't think it's too relevant here. Those changes are mainly for
install/management tools, and they're only in ipa-ldap-updater and
ipa-replica-prepare commands so far.

As for future changes: no, we don't have any guarantees on diagnostic
messages, and I don't think catering to parsers should prevent us from
improving them.

Anyway, do you really need to parse debug messages to get HBAC test
results? I think I don't understand your use case enough to suggest
something better.

--
Petr³