[Freeipa-users] Getting Samba to authenticate against FreeIPA

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Sun Mar 24 15:06:33 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-03-24 at 10:03 +0600, Arthur Fayzullin wrote:
> 24.03.2013 04:27, Martin пишет:
> > Hello, apologize if this is a faq.
> >
> > We're trying to set up a file server that authenticate all users against
> > a FreeIPA-server. The systems are up to date CentOS 6 machines and
> > everything works just swell for logins and NFS4-mounts. However, we're
> > completely stuck on samba.
> >
> > We've tried to figure out how to make a samba 3 use PAM, ldap or
> > whatever (and that way authenticate towards FreeIPA) and right now we're
> > trying Samba 4 because we hoped that would be simpler. So far we're out
> > of luck.
> >
> > What we want is just a stand alone samba server (there's no windows
> > servers on this network) that is connected to FreeIPA. It sounds like a
> > pretty basic thing to get to work, but apparently that's not the case.
> >
> > ...help? Maybe someone has a working config they could share?
> >
> > /Martin

A while ago someone made this post:
http://techslaves.org/2011/08/24/freeipa-and-samba-3-integration/

It is not the only way to configure samba but it is a possible solution
for your request.

> This is about samba-sharea, but may be can help
> https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Identity_Management_Guide/cifs.html

If you are interested in client cifs just ignore point 4 and 5 of
11.4.2, they must be cut&paste errors from nfs client instructions, I am
filing a bug to fix it.

Simo.