[Freeipa-users] User admins for different groups

Philipp Richter philipp.richter at linbit.com
Thu Mar 28 08:38:08 UTC 2013

Am 26.03.2013 um 16:55 schrieb Rob Crittenden <rcritten at redhat.com>:

> Petr Spacek wrote:

>>> IPA uses a flat DIT so here is no way to control adding users in a given
>>> branch office.
>>>
>>> The most you'd be able to do is delegae management (delete/modify) a
>>> subset of
>>> users who are members of a group that represents that branch office.
>>> Any new
>>> users added would need to be added to the appropriate branch group by the
>>> admin adding them.
>>
>> This sounds like big deficiency to me...
>> Is it possible to hack automember plugin to enforce some group
>> assignment based on creator's group/name as proposed above? It should
>> allow users to prepare some hand crafted ACIs, I guess.
>>
>> (Sorry, I don't have any knowledge about automember internals :-)
>
> Using automember doesn't prevent an admin from adding a user outside of the branch. It would just automatically assign that new user to the correct branch based on the automember rules AND assuming that the admin that added the user included the right information for the rules.
>
> ACIs control add at the subtree level, so for us it is a binary. Either you can add users or you can't.

In our current ldap implementation (openldap) there are some attributes which are implicitly set. I think these are creation/modification time and creator's name. So if these attributes would exist in ipa one could set up automember rules based on the creators name.

Is there a way to switch such attributes on?

Otherwise we would need to go for the one-admin-for-all approach :-(

cheers,
Philipp