[Freeipa-users] Expired certs not auto renewed by Cermonger

Nalin Dahyabhai nalin at redhat.com
Thu May 2 19:35:43 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 01:23:04PM -0500, Toasted Penguin wrote:
> /etc/ipa/ca.crt was issued by O=CTIDATA.NET, CN=Certificate Authority
>
> All the certs monitored by Certmonger show the same issuer.

Ok, good.  (If that hadn't been the case, I wouldn't have had an
explanation to offer.)

> Wasn't getting anything back when running the ipahost script you provided,
> ran  ipahost=`grep ^host= /etc/ipa/default.conf | cut -f2- -d=` and echo
> $ipahost shows nothing so I just ran the openssl section manually:

Hmm.  Curious.  That might be a leftover from having different releases
installed at various times on my test box.  Thanks for continuing on.

> openssl s_client -CAfile /etc/ipa/ca.crt -connect ipa01.ctidata.net:https
> -showcerts < /dev/null
>
> Results:
> CONNECTED(00000003)
> depth=1 O = CTIDATA.NET, CN = Certificate Authority
> verify return:1
> depth=0 O = CTIDATA.NET, CN = ipa01.ctidata.net
> verify error:num=10:certificate has expired
> notAfter=Mar 24 19:56:36 2013 GMT
> verify return:1
> depth=0 O = CTIDATA.NET, CN = ipa01.ctidata.net
> notAfter=Mar 24 19:56:36 2013 GMT
> verify return:1
> ---
> Certificate chain
>  0 s:/O=CTIDATA.NET/CN=ipa01.ctidata.net
>    i:/O=CTIDATA.NET/CN=Certificate Authority
> -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
> #####
> -----END CERTIFICATE-----
>  1 s:/O=CTIDATA.NET/CN=Certificate Authority
>    i:/O=CTIDATA.NET/CN=Certificate Authority
> -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
> ####
> -----END CERTIFICATE-----
> ---
> Server certificate
> subject=/O=CTIDATA.NET/CN=ipa01.ctidata.net
> issuer=/O=CTIDATA.NET/CN=Certificate Authority
> ---
> No client certificate CA names sent
> ---
> SSL handshake has read 1959 bytes and written 463 bytes
> ---
> New, TLSv1/SSLv3, Cipher is AES256-SHA
> Server public key is 2048 bit
> Secure Renegotiation IS supported
> Compression: NONE
> Expansion: NONE
> SSL-Session:
>     Protocol  : TLSv1
>     Cipher    : AES256-SHA
>     Session-ID: #####
>     Session-ID-ctx:
>     Master-Key: ####
>     Key-Arg   : None
>     Krb5 Principal: None
>     PSK identity: None
>     PSK identity hint: None
>     Start Time: 1367518514
>     Timeout   : 300 (sec)
>     Verify return code: 10 (certificate has expired)
> ---
> DONE

Yup, that's the problem: the IPA server's certificate wasn't able to be
replaced while it was still valid, and now it can no longer ask itself
for a new one.

With 2.1.4, I think the simplest way to sort this is to stop the
services (ipactl stop; service certmonger stop), roll the system date
back, start the services up again, possibly use 'ipa-getcert resubmit'
to force updating (it should happen automatically, but forcing it to
happen a second time won't hurt).  Then shut things down, set the
correct time on the clock, and bring everything back up again.

Hopefully there's a smarter way to do it, but I'm blanking on it if
there is one.

HTH,

Nalin