[Freeipa-users] IPA - initial questions

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Fri May 10 18:22:23 UTC 2013

Herb Burnswell wrote:
> All,
>
> I am beginning to put an IPA environment together and will be inquiring
> with the community on different issues.
>
> First, regarding this list, I do not see a way to search archived posts
> for answers.  I apologize if I am just missing how to do so, is there a
> way to search for topics?

There is no built-in search command but you can use google, something
like site:https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/ <search-terms>

> Second, I have attempted to subscribe to the list a couple times but
> have not received any email notification and cannot log in via the
> credentials I created.  Am I missing something or am I just waiting for
> an approval from moderators or other?

I don't see any failed subscription requests. I went ahead and
subscribed you.

> Regarding IPA, my initial question is how do folks handle the root
> user?  Is root maintained via IPA centrally or since it's a special
> account is it sill maintained directly on all systems?

You always want to be able to log in locally as root if something goes
wrong. sssd purposely excludes the root users for this reason.

If you want to limit root access then you'd be better of investigating
SUDO and limiting who knows the root password(s).

rob