[Freeipa-users] NFS Auto-Mount Home Directories

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Mon May 13 13:41:45 UTC 2013

Dean Hunter wrote:
> Arthur, thank you for your response. You referenced the RHEL 6
> equivalent of the Fedora FreeIPA Guide. And yes, I hope to use those
> instructions soon. However, I am having trouble meeting the
> preconditions as recommended by this tip in the manual you referenced:
>
> 11.2. Configuring Automount
>
> IMPORTANT
> Identity Management does not set up or configure autofs. That must be
> done separately, as described in these procedures. Identity Management
> works with an existing autofs deployment.
>
> TIP
> Test that the /home directory can be mounted from the command line
> successfully before changing the automount configuration. Making sure
> that NFS is already working properly makes it easier to troubleshoot any
> potential IdM automount configuration errors later.
>
> So I am looking for instructions for configuring auto-mount of home
> directories for local users; especially any SELinux considerations.

Well, we purposely do all this hand-waving because it seems that
everyone handles it differently.

For a straight mounting of directories based on UID then you should be
able to use standard NFS variable replacement (either using your own
automount configuration or the IPA centralized automount).

Are you seeing some SELinux problems?

rob