[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA password sync one direction only (Windows DC -> IPA)

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri May 17 15:39:27 UTC 2013

On 05/17/2013 09:26 AM, Steve Dainard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're running a single IPA server (CentOS 6) on our network as a side
> project for some testing before we implement.
>
> It had been a significant period of time since I had last logged into
> the web interface, so I had to kinit from a client machine (of which I
> had logged into successfully with my domain password), at which point
> I was requested to change my password. After the password change I
> RDP'd into a Windows machine on our domain and realized the password
> had not been updated on the domain controller.
>
> Is the password sync feature with an external source such as Active
> Directory supposed to be two-way? If so where can I start
> troubleshooting this issue?

Are you talking about a windows sync agreement you set up with
ipa-replica-manage?
If so, yes, the password sync is supposed to be two-way.
Try this:
turn on the replication log level
http://port389.org/wiki/FAQ#Troubleshooting
change your IPA password
turn off the replication log level
http://port389.org/wiki/FAQ#Troubleshooting
see if you can use your new password in AD

The 389 errors log in /var/log/dirsrv/slapd-YOUR-DOMAIN/errors may
contain a clue.