[Freeipa-users] No result when trying to integrate a FreeBSD client with the FreeIPA server

Orkhan Gasimov orkhan-azeri at mail.ru
Thu Oct 16 13:23:55 UTC 2014

Here`s what I have at the end of the day after various checks.

SSH-ing as existing IPA user "rsiwal" to my FreeBSD client fails.
The same user can SSH or locally login to my Linux client.
If I create a new user in IPA, he can`t initially SSH into FreeBSD client.
BSD says: "password expired", but doesn`t take new password.
The same new user can SSH into my Linux client.
Linux says: "password expired" and allows to set a new password with a
message: "All authentication tokens updated successfully."
After I set a new password for my newly created user via Linux, I can
SSH into my BSD client as that user.
Using this hack I can create new users in IPA, SSH into Linux to change
their passwords and then use those new users to SSH into FreeBSD.
At the same time I cannot locally login to my FreeBSD host as either IPA
user or local user.

I think there`s something wrong with Kerberos setup on my FreeBSD
client. I suspect that because both /etc/pam.d/system and
/etc/pam.d/sshd files on the BSD client have a string:
password  sufficient  /usr/local/lib/pam_sss.so use_authtok
but BSD doesn`t let update authentication tokens when trying to change
expired password for a new user.

There was minimal info about Kerberos setup on FreeBSD client in the
post at FreeBSD forums. Just this: "create a keytab on the IPA server
and copy it to /etc/krb5.keytab" on the FreeBSD client.

Someone here wrote that he can contact the author of that post. If so,
please tell the author to spend a couple of hours to:
1) check everything he advised on a blank setup with VMs;
2) provide more details about correct sequence of actions.

Any help will be highly appreciated!