[Freeipa-users] Fw: Web ui error “Your session has expired. Please re-login.” from a browser on a remote client.

Christopher Lamb christopher.lamb at ch.ibm.com
Mon Apr 27 16:09:19 UTC 2015

Hi All

I may have found a possible cause of our instance of the  "Your session has
expired" Web UI error on our new FreeIPA 4.1.0 Server

By chance I checked the date on the server hosting FreeIPA 4.1.0. To my
surprise, despite running ntpd it was 2 hours in the future!

Some moons ago we suffering from clock-skew problems, and had spent a lot
of time understanding ntp, and setting up an optimal ntp
architecture /config. We were able to completely eliminate clock-skew
across all our servers.

Digging into the /etc/ntp.conf file I saw that FreeIPA had replaced our 4
NTPD servers with 4 RedHat NTPD servers.

Therefore I returned the /etc/ntp.conf file to our default, restarted ntpd,
and time was correct again.

Subsequent to this (at least at various points today) I have been able to
successfully log into the Web UI from Firefox and Safari on OSX, and
Firefox on Windows. On both platforms Chrome (not supported) does not work.

I confess I have not had the time to return to the FreeIPA ntp config to
see if the 2 hour offset + Web UI session problem can be reproduced, so at
the moment this remains a credible, but not proven hypothesis.

However I guess that  2 hour offset probably comes from the 2 hour
difference between UTC and European Summertime.

I think it would be great if the changes made by FreeIPA setup to ntp.conf
were optional - we care strongly about the content of that file!

Cheers

Chris

----- Forwarded by Christopher Lamb/Switzerland/IBM on 27.04.2015 15:36
-----