[Freeipa-users] sssd compatibility with older RHEL 6 minor releases.

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Sun Feb 1 00:09:25 UTC 2015

On 01/31/2015 01:37 PM, Genadi Postrilko wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> The environment i'm currently working to migrate under IPA identity
> management contains mostly RHEL 6.2 servers.
> I'm planing to use Active Directory Cross Forest Trust for Identities,
> IPA as sudo provider, and all the other goodies that IPA provides.
>
> If i want to enjoy all the new features (at least most of them), i
> know that clients have to be sssd version > 1.9. And if i want IPA to
> be auto configured as sudo provider  it has to be sssd > 1.11.
>
> When reading the mailing list i noticed that sssd 1.11 is mentioned as
> feature of rhel 6.6.
> What i would like and understand is what could go wrong if i will
> install sssd 1.11 on rhel 6.2 servers.And what is is your general
> recommendations for older RHEL 6 (minor) releases?

It will pull a lot of dependencies and most of your system will look
like 6.6 system
Also the upgrade like this might reveal some issues as the upgrades are
expected to be gradual. 1-2 versions is ok but 4 is quit a big leap.

Overall it is a bit risky to do it.
You have three options:
- upgrade properly but probably in two steps 6.2 -> 6.4 -> 6.6
- use SSSD from 6.2 as is for now. It will have limited functionality
but can leverage AD users from the trust. You would need to configure
SSSD to use LDAP for authentication and point to compat tree of IPA to
take advantage of the trust. See details here:
http://www.freeipa.org/images/0/0d/FreeIPA33-legacy-clients.pdf
- take your chances and try a hybrid you propose but it is not a
formally supported configuration.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal