[Freeipa-users] netgroups not working for exports in freeipa - SOLVED

Roderick Johnstone rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 5 18:52:18 UTC 2015

On 29/01/15 21:43, Roderick Johnstone wrote:
> On 29/01/2015 17:32, Jakub Hrozek wrote:

>>> Indeed it does.
>>>
>>> The individual triples listed for the netgroup contain entries like:
>>> (host,-,domain)
>>> where host is a fully qualified hostname which is dns resolvable.
>>>
>>> (For info if I do ypcat on one of my NIS netgroups I get a triple
>>> like this:
>>> (host,,)
>>> where host is the fully qualified host name, and nothing in the domain
>>> field.
>>>
>>> I've actually tried two netgroups with different domains set. The
>>> first one
>>> (rmjnetgroup) I made without specifying the --nisdomain option to ipa
>>> netgroup-add and domain in the output above shows as my dns domain
>>> (which is
>>> a lower case version of my kerberos realm).
>>>
>>> I couldn't mount nfs shares when exporting to @rmjnetgroup. I checked
>>> that I
>>> could mount the shares when I exported explicitly to the fully qualified
>>> host name, and that worked ok.
>>>
>>> So, thinking that the problem was with the domain name I made a new
>>> netgroup
>>> (rmjnetgroup1) with the option --nisdomain=xxx where xxx is the
>>> proper name
>>> for our nis domain as shown with the domainname command.
>>>
>>> I couldn't mount nfs shares when exporting to @rmjnetgroup1 either.
>>>
>>> Roderick
>>
>> Thank you for your reply, then we know the SSSD's netgroup handling is
>> correct. To be honest, we're getting a bit out of my comfort zone into
>> the NFS area.
>>
>> Maybe Roland (CC) knows how to debug the issue further?
>>

> Thanks for your interest Jakub.

Just to round this thread out I did get the exporting to netgroups
defined in ipa working. My problems were, I think, related to reverse
name lookups resolving to short hostnames coming from /etc/hosts rather
than FQDN names that were being used in /etc/exports (as well as some
other things).

Interestingly, the setting of the nis domain name by the domainname
command on the nfs server doesn't seem to have to match the nisdomain
setting for the netgroup for the export to work.

In further testing using a netgroup in /etc/hosts.allow to control ssh
access like this:
sshd : @rmjnetgroup : ALLOW
ALL : ALL : DENY

it seems that the nis domain name set with the domainname command must
match the nis domain set in the netgroup in IdM or else access is not
allowed.

Hoping this might be of use to someone else one day.

Roderick