[Freeipa-users] DNS configuration for not resolving some addresses

Martin Basti mbasti at redhat.com
Wed Jul 8 14:25:20 UTC 2015

On 08/07/15 16:14, Karl Forner wrote:
> Thanks Martin, but I do not want to forward the whole subzone.
>
> I have the example.test zone from my web hosting site, that manages
> also the domain example.test
> I use the example.test domain in freeIPA.
> So the problem is that in the internal network, I can no longer
> resolve www.example.test.
>
> Of course I can define all such names manually in the freeIPA dns, but
> ideally (or naively) I'd like a way to
> configure the freeIPA dns like: if you do not know foo.example.test,
> instead of returning NXDOMAIN, please forward the request to this
> other nameserver.
Okay, but DNS doesn't work in that way. Zone example.test. is
authoritative, so it must contain the record or delegation or NXDOMAIN
is returned. You cannot have multiple authoritative copies of one zone
with different data.

The best solution would be to have only internal.example.test. zone
managed by IPA, and add delegation to this zone into example.test.

Martin

--
Martin Basti