[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA and DHCP

Simon Williams simon.williams at thehelpfulcat.com
Sun Oct 18 22:35:58 UTC 2015

Well, that's true, but I do do it indirectly. I assign fixed addresses for
servers by MAC address and host name in DHCP and manage the IP address of
that host through FreeIPA DNS. If you tell DHCP that a particular MAC
address is a particular host name, when that host requests a DHCP allocated
address, the DHCP server does a DNS lookup on the host name and gives the
machine a lease on the address. I have no idea if that is intended
behaviour or if it is something that isn't a good idea for some reason, I
discovered that it worked by accident! It has simplified my small setup
however as DNS and therefore FreeIPA control the fixed IP addresses of the
servers. I do have to remember to set up each fixed address's MAC address
and host name in the DHCP configuration when I create it, but it makes
reconfiguring fixed IP addresses a breeze. It ought to be possible to
script synchronisation of the DHCP configuration with the host information
in FreeIPA, but I only deal with a handful of machines,  so I've never
bothered.