Re: [Freeipa-users] FreeNAS Authenticating Againts FreeIPA

Sorry for the double post.

I forgot to say that my speech is about newest versions of FreeIPA.
Maybe someone here knows something about IPA 3.0 ?
I'm not sure it used to work with ipasam module. But I suppose the problem is the same: you need to generate Samba schema values for your IPA users in the directory.

Cheers,

--
Youenn Piolet

Hi Chris,

First, to be sure were on the same page:
Without IPA, to make CIFS users authenticate against directory in a classic LDAP implementation, you need to extend your LDAP tree with Samba schema. The FreeNAS documentation is a bit light on this subjet and previous FreeNAS versions (stable 9.3 included) used to mess up rfc2307bis/rfc2307. I think it is fixed now, and know nothing about your 9.2 version. Wrote some messy stuff about it here: https://github.com/uZer/rootools/blob/master/ldap/integrations/ldap.integration.freenas.md

To make CIFS users authenticate or FreeIPA recent versions (I only tried with 4.1), I suggest you to start by reading some of our investigations in this thread:

[Freeipa-users] Ubuntu Samba Server Auth against IPA

When we discuss about this in august, I've spend almost a week trying to make this integration with FreeNAS/FreeIPA work. I quit FreeNAS without fully understand why it didn't work, and moved our CIFS to a dedicated Centos server. Matt arrived with a similar situation in Ubuntu.

To quickly summarize the issue, FreeNAS and Ubuntu CIFS work by default with ldapsam.so module. FreeIPA developpers have built a AD trust exchange possibility with a custom ipasam module that isn't compiled yet for Ubuntu or FreeNAS. This module gives the possibility to use IPA AD trust components (e.g. special schema in IPA's directory managing user/group NT SID)

If you can't compile the module for FreeNAS / FreeBSD, you may need to extend 365directory with Samba schema.
You will need to find a way to generate the new attributes when adding users or groups in FreeIPA, and a way to store password in a CIFS/NT understandable way. I don't suggest you to follow this dark path.

You can also quit FreeNAS and migrate to CentOS with ipasam as I did ;)

Good luck in your experimentations, I hope you will succeed!

--
Youenn Piolet

Hi Everyone,

I have a functioning FreeIPA server that manages all my users and I would like to also use it for my FreeNAS CIFS shares to authenticate against.

Does anyone know what needs to be run on both servers to get this working? I believe it has something to do with Samba properties on the FreeIPA side.

I had tried asking the FreeNAS forums but they were of no help (https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/freeipa-and-freenas-ldap-setup.37083/).

I have seen similar requests and success stories, but no actual steps on how to do it.

Info:
FreeIPA v3.0.0-42 running on CentOS 6.6.
FreeNAS 9.2.1.9 (can use 9.3 if easier, was trying to get it working before dealing with certs).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-Chris