[Freeipa-users] anonymous LDAP attributes with IPA ipa-server-4.1

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Thu Oct 29 20:10:02 UTC 2015

On 10/29/2015 12:06 AM, craig.linux at mypenguin.net.au wrote:
> Thanks it worked!
> For those also intersted in the settings;
>
> Permission: ldap_anonymous
> Bind Type Rule: anonymous
> Granted Rights: (I used) "read","search","compare"
> Subtree: cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com
> Extra target filter: (&(objectclass=Person)(|(uid=*)(givenName=*)))
> Target DN: uid=*,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com
> Effective Attributes:
> gecos, mail, mobile, telephoneNumber, uidNumber
>
> cheers,
>
> Craig

This works. However, the "right way" here would be changing Bind Type Rule of
default permission "System: Read User Addressbook Attributes" from "all"
(default to new installation of FreeIPA 4.0) to "anonymous". This is the
permission that holds extended attributes like this one:

# ipa permission-show 'System: Read User Addressbook Attributes'
   Permission name: System: Read User Addressbook Attributes
   Granted rights: read, compare, search
   Effective attributes: audio, businesscategory, carlicense, departmentnumber,
destinationindicator, employeenumber, employeetype,
                         facsimiletelephonenumber, homephone,
homepostaladdress, inetuserhttpurl, inetuserstatus, internationalisdnnumber,
jpegphoto,
                         l, labeleduri, mail, mobile, o, ou, pager, photo,
physicaldeliveryofficename, postaladdress, postalcode, postofficebox,
                         preferreddeliverymethod, preferredlanguage,
registeredaddress, roomnumber, secretary, seealso, st, street, telephonenumber,
                         teletexterminalidentifier, telexnumber,
usercertificate, usersmimecertificate, x121address, x500uniqueidentifier
   Default attributes: postofficebox, registeredaddress, jpegphoto,
physicaldeliveryofficename, homepostaladdress, labeleduri, photo, postalcode,
                       street, x121address, st, telephonenumber,
facsimiletelephonenumber, teletexterminalidentifier, usercertificate, mail,
                       internationalisdnnumber, seealso, x500uniqueidentifier,
employeetype, businesscategory, preferredlanguage,
                       preferreddeliverymethod, roomnumber, carlicense,
telexnumber, postaladdress, pager, destinationindicator, departmentnumber,
                       mobile, inetuserhttpurl, l, o, inetuserstatus,
employeenumber, usersmimecertificate, ou, audio, homephone, secretary
   Bind rule type: all
   Subtree: cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=rhel72
   Type: user

This approach will help you avoid extra read permission and keep your
permission updated by FreeIPA updated, if needed (when new addressbook
attribute is added for example).