[Freeipa-users] How to migrate from freeipa distribution to separate components

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Wed Jan 13 15:11:39 UTC 2016

On 01/13/2016 03:57 PM, bahan w wrote:
> Re.
>
> Thanks both of you for your answers.
>
> Simo, MIT Kerberos and OpenLDAP can work on their own and provide the same
> kind of service that we want from IPA, even if it is not embedded in
> integrated solution like IPA.
>
> I totally agree that IPA provides a lot of things but I am quite sure the
> isolated softwares like MIT Kerberos for Kerberos, OpenLDAP for LDAP and a
> cache client like sssd or nscd/nslcd can work.

It "can" work. But home grown solutions like that require non-trivial effort to
even get started.

As soon as you have more requests on such home grown infrastructure, you will
need to implement enhancements (like something cert or DNS related). At that
moment, you may realize you are re-implementing what FreeIPA may support
already. FreeIPA project was started for a reason :-)