[Freeipa-users] Question DNS: DNS views & FreeIPA

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Mon Jul 25 06:15:59 UTC 2016

On 22.7.2016 18:50, Günther J. Niederwimmer wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> what is the best way to include a local DNS Server?

Could you be more specific? What exactly are you trying to achieve?

> Can I configure on a IPA DNS Server (extern) views for a internal  DNS without
> problems ?
>
> Is the named Configuration is overwritten by Updates or other ?

Yes, the named.conf can be overwritten from time to time. FreeIPA-integrated
DNS "owns" that file and does modifications to it.

> I have read now much FreeIPA Doc's but found nothing for this Problem ?

The most important chapter is
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Linux_Domain_Identity_Authentication_and_Policy_Guide/install-server.html#install-determine-dns

"""
An IdM server with integrated DNS services
    The integrated DNS server provided by IdM is not designed to be used as a
general-purpose DNS server. It only supports features related to IdM
deployment and maintenance. It does not support some of the advanced DNS
features.
"""

DNS views are out of scope of FreeIPA DNS. If you insist on using views you
will be on your own.

We plan to focus on integration with external DNS in some future release but
this work is not scoped yet. It would be great if you could provide us details
for your use-case so we can consider it in planning.

Thank you!

--
Petr^2 Spacek