[Freeipa-users] HBAC Troubleshooting (IPA 4.2)

Lachlan Musicman datakid at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 23:04:45 UTC 2016

Jake,

I've seen this behaviour and am still struggling to find a solution.

The version of underlying OS and sssd are useful to know fwiw.

To trouble shoot HBAC:

 - in *target machine* sssd.conf, add debug_level=7 to each stanza (can go
as high as 9, but I believe 7 will be sufficient)
 - restart sssd
 - clear logs in /var/log/sssd/ either by deleting or by logrotate
 - make an attempt to login/perform allowed action that gets denied
 - read logs to see what happened
 - I like to run `ipa hbactest --user= --host= --service` on the IPA node
to confirm that the HBAC rules are correct
 - I sometimes also install ipa-tools on the target host and confirm that
the above command gives same and correct answer
 - note that successful results from this command may not translate to
successful application of HBAC on the target host in reality.

cheers
L.

------
The most dangerous phrase in the language is, "We've always done it this
way."

- Grace Hopper