Re: ERROR: unable to read system id

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:31:35 +0700
"Budi Febrianto" <bfebrianto@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm new in Linx environment.
> How do I know, if I need the daemon or not?
> Im activate Telnet, FTP, DNS (cache only), IP Forwarding with Ipcahins.
>
> Can I disable the daemon?
               Probably. It is used to keep your systems updated via the web; apply security patches, update erratas and bugfixes. It does require that you register your machines with RedHat though.

> Thanks

                                  Not, really. The daemon is running, and can't find any registered machines

> > > How can I fix this?

                                  Actually the latest redhat up2date 'utility' is the redhat network system, as explained
                                  here --> https://rhn.redhat.com/help/basic/rhn-basic.html . It involves running a daemon
                                  (rhnsd) on your system(s) and registering one or more systems via web interface. At
                                  the basic (free) level, you essentially choose what you want to update and the daemon
                                  does it for you some time later .

                                  More conventionally, you can run the update agent manually :

                                  # /usr/sbin/up2date

                                  See --> https://rhn.redhat.com/help/basic/up2date.html

                                                                                      Regards,

                                                                                        Tom