[Hwcert-announce-list] Change in procedure for opening hardware certification requests

Engineering Partner Management eng-partner-management at redhat.com
Thu May 7 23:16:36 UTC 2015

Greetings Red Hat Partners,

We would like to update you on a change in our requirements for new
hardware certification requests. On July 1st, 2015, we will start
requiring the creation of a hardware specification entry with every new
hardware certification request as we currently do for all Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 7.x requests.

Starting on that date, the option to create a certification without the
required hardware specification entry will be removed from the
interface. The current default option of "Both" on the "Entry Type" line
of the new hardware certification request page already creates the
specification entry for you automatically. No action is required of you
beyond acceptance of the default setting on the "Entry Type" line in
order to comply with this new rule.

Completed or in-progress certifications will not require any changes as
a result of this new rule. Furthermore, you may begin opening hardware
specification entries immediately for all your new certification
requests; there is no requirement to wait until the listed date to begin
following the new rule.

Background
----------
A hardware specification entry is a separate entry in the hardware
catalog that holds a list of testable hardware for a particular system
or component. The review team creates the list by analyzing the
specification URL or document you submit with your hardware
certification request. This information is used to create the official
test plan, which lists the items that must be successfully tested for a
system or component to achieve certification.

The storage of the hardware list separately from its associated
certifications makes it easier to create the test plan for additional
certifications requested for the same hardware. For example, Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 6 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 certification requests
would utilize the same specification entry instead of repeating the
process of specification document analysis and hardware list creation.

The following link to the user guide explains how to open additional
certification requests from a hardware specification entry:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_Hardware_Certification/1/html/Test_Suite_User_Guide/sect-User_Guide-Preparing_to_Test-Opening_Additional_Standard_Certification_Requests_for_the_Same_Hardware.html

We value your ongoing participation in the Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Hardware Certification efforts and thank you for your continued
partnership. If you have any questions or comments, please do not
hesitate to contact your Engineering Partner Manager or Engineering
Account Manager.

Regards,

The Red Hat Hardware Certification Team