9 days till school starts - need help with desktop configuration

John Ellson ellson at research.att.com
Tue Aug 26 13:27:54 UTC 2008

We now have a fc9.x86_64 ltsp server with five x86_64 and two i386
clients working in the school,
almost ready for the elementary and middle school kids and staff on
September 4th.

I have some configuration issues that I'm hoping I can get some help with:

Gnome desktop:

    1. How can I modify the default gnome desktop configuration new userids?

       a. to remove unused/broken menu items such as "Lock Screen" and
"Shutdown"

       b. to add applications on the panel, such as GIMP (which nobody
looking for "Photoshop" can ever find)

       c. to add items to user's Desktop/  such as a linked folder to a
shared directory accessible to all students

    2. How can I reset a student's desktop to the default?
       (Does: "rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd .metacity" sound
about right?)

Firefox:

    3. How can I install AdBlock and NoScript system-wide so that all
users have them automatically?
       (and will this be the same when firefox is run as a localapp?)

Kernel:

    4. How do I administratively disable VT switching in the clients?
I need VT switching occasionally
    for debugging, but the kids don't.

John