[K12OSN] PowerPC iMacs as LTSP thin clients

Barry R Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Tue Dec 16 21:21:18 UTC 2008

Hi Warren,

Just thought I would throw this out in regards to Imacs viability with
K12LTSP. The model I got to work very easily was the Imac Indigo's.
These are the dull cased, kiddy colored all in one case models. These
have the slotload CD's in them is the easiest way i know to distuguish
them. I got 24 of these to work fine,along with sound. Sound worked on
Tuxtype.etc,as well. I never did try flash. This has been almost 4 years
ago,and flash was dodgy at best even on PC's. I did NOT have to do any
bios updating on any of them and they all had different version bios's
on them just to verify this. The key on getting these to boot is
learning the mac Openfirmware( I think) is what it is called, You can
save the parameters,permantly as you like and they reboot every time
with the parameters you feed it. I tried pretty hard to get Emacs,
(which we had 20 of), to work and never had any luck with these. The
Imac indigos do make very nice All in one machines that are very speedy.
There are tons of these lying around in storage closets ,I'm sure.
Here is a link to a 'how to' I done,on how to get sound working on the
Imac Indigo All in One's;

http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/SoundCards#Sound_on_Imac_Indigo_as_a_thin_c

Hope this helps a little.

**Added-
** Sorry sent this first time to K12osn list.

Take Care,
Barry Cisna