LDM ' changing the default session'

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon Jun 2 09:20:03 UTC 2008

Andrew Osborne wrote:
>         I have installed Fedora 9/LTSP 5 with no problems (except using
>         a terminal with printer connected), and must congratulate all
>         involved for the best K12 yet.
>

>         Is it possible to change the default from Gnome to KDE or
>         something else, may be in xsession?
>

>         I'm aware that work is been done on LDM but is there a
>         workaround for the moment?

What you quoted talked about the DISPLAYMANAGER option.  This option is
only relevant to the prefdm script which is run at the very end of
system boot after your services have started.  prefdm on a normal Fedora
system (and your LTSP server) runs gdm by default.  Within your
/opt/ltsp/i386 chroot /etc/sysconfig/desktop should contain
DISPLAYMANAGER=DISPLAYMANAGER=/usr/sbin/ltsp-client-launch which
launches the ldm.

If you do not manually choose a session, LDM runs the
/etc/X11/xinit/Xsession script without parameters.  That script runs
through a bunch of other scripts to decide what exactly to run.
/etc/X11/xinit/Xclients contains the part that handles the DESKTOP
option.  This appears to be the way to set an alternate default session
type.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com