Wyse S50 Terminal sound

Bond, Darryl dbond at nrggos.com.au
Fri Jun 20 10:23:07 UTC 2008

Hi,
I have a long sorry story of trying to get a new(ish) wyse S50 terminal working with LTSP.

The Wyse terminal is based on a CS5535 sound chip on an Natsemi Geode

I started with LTSP4.2 with a custom kernel with the CS5535 driver compiled in. I found that the ALSA test sounds would work but anything with a bit rate other that 48k would not play. I hacked the kernel driver to try to find what might be wrong and found the part that would not play anything but 48k. ALSA support was a patch on LTSP4.2 anyway.

I send a bug report to the ALSA list and got a response from Jaya Kumar that said that the user space libraries would take care of it. But there was no hint of how to do that, nor could I find any documentation.

I have not yet been able to find the trick to get the resampling to work correctly.

I looked forward to trying a modern release of the kernel and ALSA support in LTSP.
I have been trying to get it working with Fedora9 LTSP.

No matter what I do I cannot get any further than the
# export PULSE_SERVER=tcp:localhost:4713
# aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
aplay set_params:979: Unable to install hw params:

when  /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav is, by the way, at 48k??
Now I am trying to understand where pulse stops and ALSA starts as ALSA used to be able to play this sample on LTSP4.2

Any hints as where to start.

The Wyse terminals are otherwise very nice (except that it also autoprobes the VESA video driver instead of the nsc or geode driver)

Regards
Darryl

The contents of this electronic message and any attachments are intended only for the addressee and may contain legally privileged, personal, sensitive or confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, and have received this email, any transmission, distribution, downloading, printing or photocopying of the contents of this message or attachments is strictly prohibited. Any legal privilege or confidentiality attached to this message and attachments is not waived, lost or destroyed by reason of delivery to any person other than intended addressee. If you have received this message and are not the intended addressee you should notify the sender by return email and destroy all copies of the message and any attachments. Unless expressly attributed, the views expressed in this email do not necessarily represent the views of the company.