Wyse S50 Terminal sound

Bond, Darryl dbond at nrggos.com.au
Sat Jun 21 07:18:53 UTC 2008

From: k12linux-devel-list-bounces at redhat.com [k12linux-devel-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Warren Togami [wtogami at redhat.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2008 12:45 AM
To: Development discussion of K12Linux
Subject: Re: Wyse S50 Terminal sound

>> No matter what I do I cannot get any further than the
>> # export PULSE_SERVER=tcp:localhost:4713
>> # aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
>> aplay set_params:979: Unable to install hw params:

>You shouldn't need to export any variables for sound to Just Work on
>LTSP5.  It is enabled by default.  If it doesn't work then it is almost
>assuredly a driver bug.
Yes, that is set to test it locally. It needs to use pulse audio.

>I'm told that CS5535 was in the "older GX" including your Geode and
>CS5536 was in Geode LX.  Both use the snd-cs5535audio driver.  I
>personally haven't tested any GX, but Geode LX here sound just works
>fine with LTSP5 on Fedora 9.  It is possible that the driver is
>deficient on the older CS5535 hardware but I have no way of testing it here.
It's not that old , about a year.
The model on the back is SX0, Winterm S50 Manufactured Nov, 2006.
The thing boots linux from an encrypted flash partition and the sound works with the supplied linux.

This is the response I got from the ALSA list
> > Apparently your codec doesn't support VRA, so it cannot work except
> > for 48kHz (or 96kHz in some cases).  Usually other rates are converted
> > via alsa-lib plugin.  In the recent versions, the default PCM
> > "default" does such conversions automagically (unless you specify
> > explicitly the non-conversion, e.g., passing the device 'hw").
> >

> > Takashi
> >
> The main application I need to run (Citrix ICA client) uses OSS sound.
> It works fine with other sound cards and drivers. In this case it passes
> 8000 to snd_ac97_set_rate().

OSS emulation also allows the automatic rate conversion, so it should
work regardless whether the chip supports non-48kHz or not.

> Do I need to make sure that I have a recent Alsalibs? It would appear
> that I am using 1.0.10-0.
> Does OSS use the alsalibs?

Depends.  If it's a user-space emulation, then yes.  If it's a
kerne-space emulation, then no.

Darryl

The contents of this electronic message and any attachments are intended only for the addressee and may contain legally privileged, personal, sensitive or confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, and have received this email, any transmission, distribution, downloading, printing or photocopying of the contents of this message or attachments is strictly prohibited. Any legal privilege or confidentiality attached to this message and attachments is not waived, lost or destroyed by reason of delivery to any person other than intended addressee. If you have received this message and are not the intended addressee you should notify the sender by return email and destroy all copies of the message and any attachments. Unless expressly attributed, the views expressed in this email do not necessarily represent the views of the company.