Unrelated issue with ltsp-vmclient - breaks kvm windows machines

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 00:46:12 UTC 2008

Dan Young wrote:
> I saw this on moving to rawhide. The NIC (as e1000) works fine for me
> in Windows when I install this Intel driver:
> http://tinyurl.com/336qts
>
> Video is still borked, however. The PCI ID in Windows indicates it's a
> VMWare SVGA II, but a driver scraped out of the VMWare Tools package
> did not work.
>
> $ rpm -q --changelog kvm | grep 'Mon Mar 03 2008' -A1
> * Mon Mar 03 2008 Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> - 62-3
> - Default to vmwaresvga now that it's been fixed to work

I am sorry the newer kvm causes these difficulties, but that is the cost
of progress.  We need fixes in libvirt and kvm for these issues because
rawhide isn't going back.

I highly recommend filing a bug against libvirt because it really should
allow choosing the different network interface and video devices.
As far as the Windows VMWare driver not working, this is unfortunate
because we have no control over that driver.  Also VMWare is not likely
to help kvm because kvm is a threat to VMWare's future business.  I
might file a bug against kvm, maybe there is something they can do to
make their emulated video work with the VMWare Windows driver.

Meanwhile -std-vga might be workable for video.  That forces the VM to
use Vesa video.  Unfortunately there is no command line option to go
back to the original Cirrus video in kvm.  You might want to ask for
that in a separate bug.

As for Fedora 8, I'm sorry that the side repository for LTSP5 on Fedora
8 cannot make everyone happy.  Until libvirt and kvm are fixed, I would
recommend downgrading your kvm then blacklisting it from further
upgrades in your yum.conf.  ltsp-vmclient *might* even work with the
older version (although likely not because cirrus and rtl8139 were
extremely buggy, that is why I'm using kvm-63 to begin with.)

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com