K12LTSP centos 5 vs. K12Linux

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Fri Nov 7 19:42:11 UTC 2008

rmcdaniel at indata.us wrote:
> The more that I try and get a lab running with K12Linux, the more
> frustrated I become.  Why does it seem that K12LTSP Centos5 greatly
> outperforms K12Linux.  Is the difference due to LTSP 4.2 vs. LTSP 5?  I
> have also given Edubuntu 8.1 a try and end up experiencing all of the
> crazy DHCP problems that seem to plague certain installations.  Is this
> really progression???   Sorry for the rant, but I have been working on a
> single lab with 30 clients for two weeks.  The K12LTSP install would
> have been done in about 2 hours...
>

> Ron McDaniel
> rmcdaniel at indata.us

Performance-wise, yes, the demands of LTSP 5 on the client are greater
than those of LTSP4.2.  If your clients are slower than, say 400mhz and
have less than 128MB of RAM, they'll probably seem slower than when
running under the 4.2-based K12LTSP.  OTOH, 4.2 was a highly optimized
configuration that did not lend itself to updating with new drivers as
they became available.  LTSP 5 also much better suited for leveraging
the work of the distros, which is paying off well as demonstrated the
packages available now for multiple distros.  Not to mention local
apps.  The performance issue *is* of concern to people who, like me,
like to use old hardware for clients.  But I also recognize that as time
goes by, the low end 'used PC' client has become faster & faster.  LSP
4.2 isn't being developed any more, and the development model used for
it was not sustainable long-term.  But if K12LTSP-EL5 does was you want,
don't bother with the upgrade.  Go with what works for you.

The K12Linux installations I've done so far have been quite easy,
especially if you start with the Live USB version.  But it's only been
with a small number of clients.  Is it just performance issues you're
having or something else?

Peter