K12LTSP5 EL + K12Linux Sound working and localdev (sort of)

Hi
I've been able to modify a K12LTSP5 EL installation to use LTSP5 with
working sound and (sort of, see below) working local devices. I hope the
following helps. Let me know if you run into any problems following what
I have below because I was never the best at taking notes.

It requires the use of some f8 and f9 rpms and you are definitely skiing
off-piste here - you are on your own. But it does work in my limited
testing. Unfortunately, I had to reinvent Warren Togami's wheel a bit
because I had googled for Centos instead of RHEL and ended up sorting
out what he quite elegantly details in his nice guide into getting a
base install of LTSP 5 onto RHEL5 here:
https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/RHEL5Server

I began with a vanilla install of K12LTSP 5 EL (Centos 5) 32 bit and ran
yum update which brought the installation up to ver. 5.2. Lacking
Warren's tutorial, I copied the relevant files over from a working F9
K12Linux install and edit configuration files accordingly. I had to copy
the /opt/ltsp/i386 directly via ssh because uncompressing or burning the
directory kept generating errors because of the symlinks that were
beyond my proficiency to correct. I retained the legacy networking
scheme. If you are unfamiliar with installing k12Linux, I highly
recommend proceeding from Warren's tutorial. For those of you who want
to skip to the good part...

from Warren -
rpm -Uhv
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-2.noarch.rpm

yum install ltsp-server

copy in new client root (copy from working installation or Warren's
tarball
run ltsp-update-sshkeys and ltsp-update-kernels

set up networking and enable new services

post (after) Warren's tutorial
for sound:
yum remove ltsp_esound*
(this may obsolete the next step but I came from a different direction.
Please let me know)
rpm -ev esound --nodeps

from
http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/fedora.redhat/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/Packages/
or your favorite f8 mirror, install the following:

these are require to install alsa-lib, iirc
glibc-devel-2.7-2.i386.rpm
glibc-2.7-2.i686.rpm
glibc-headers-2.7-2.i386.rpm
glibc-common-2.7-2.i386.rpm
glibc-utils-2.7-2.i386.rpm

ncurses-5.6-12.20070812.fc8.i386.rpm

alsa-lib-1.0.15-1.fc8.i386.rpm
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.14-5.fc8.i386.rpm
alsa-utils-1.0.15-1.fc8.i386.rpm
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i386             1.0.15-3.fc8.1

 the pulse packages come from rhel5 repository, iirc
gstreamer-plugins-pulse.i386             0.9.5-0.5.svn20070924
pulseaudio.i386                          0.9.10-1.el5.1
pulseaudio-core-libs.i386                0.9.10-1.el5.1
pulseaudio-esound-compat.i386            0.9.10-1.el5.1         i
pulseaudio-libs.i386                     0.9.10-1.el5.1
pulseaudio-libs-glib2.i386               0.9.10-1.el5.1
pulseaudio-libs-zeroconf.i386            0.9.10-1.el5.1
pulseaudio-module-gconf.i386             0.9.10-1.el5.1
pulseaudio-module-x11.i386               0.9.10-1.el5.1
pulseaudio-module-zeroconf.i386          0.9.10-1.el5.1
pulseaudio-utils.i386                    0.9.10-1.el5.1

while you are adding stuff:
afaik, you'll need this to support nbd swap;
nbd-2.9.7-3.fc8.i386.rpm

add /etc/asound.conf with the following contents

#Generated by system-config-soundcard, do not edit by hand
#SWCONF
#DEV 0
defaults.pcm.card 0
defaults.pcm.device 0
defaults.ctl.card 0
pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}
pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

compare/create  /etc/alsa/pulse-default.conf  so it looks like this:

# PulseAudio plugin configuration
# $Id: pulse-default.conf,v 1.3 2008/03/09 15:50:49 lkundrak Exp $

# Let's create a virtual device "pulse" for mixer and PCM

pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
    hint {
        description "PulseAudio Sound Server"
    }
}

ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
    hint {
        description "PulseAudio Sound Server"
    }
}

# Let's make it the default!

pcm.!default {
    type pulse
    hint {
        description "Default"
    }
}

ctl.!default {
    type pulse
    hint {
        description "Default"
    }
}

go to System -> Preferences -> Sound and choose Alsa for your output. If
you get gsink errors, make sure that your pulse-default.conf and
asound.conf files are correct. You should be able to play test tones on
your client.

update or install flash-plugin (Flash 10)

Now, you should be able to watch something fun like Snow Patrol on
youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZCeFvM-5yc&feature=dir

_______________
for local devices -
install
ltspfs-05.5-1.fc9.i386.rpm
update
fuse.i386.2.7.3-2.el5
dkms-fuse.noarch.2.7.3-0
install
fuse-libs.i386.2.7.3-2.el5

for using local devices, I could only get usb sticks to work. After
upgrading to the most recent ltspfs package, I couldn't
generate  /dev/cdrom. Anyone have any ideas? I don't know if it's an
issue with ltspfs or cdpinger, etc. I could at least get an cdrom icon
before the update.

Double check this file or fuse will create incorrect permissions.
/etc/udev/rules.d/99-fuse.rules
(correct Group from root to fuse)

KERNEL=="fuse", NAME="%k", MODE="0666",OWNER="root",GROUP="fuse"

add your regular user to the fuse group.

Your usb stick will show up in /media/foouser/
K12Linux uses gvfs to automatically have an icon appear for you. Perhaps
someone can wrestle with ltspfsmounter (?) and generate an icon/link on
the user desktop, etc.

post mortem
openal
timidity
icewm
fail dep resolution - require lib.esd

usb stick appears in obscure location.

Sound works great.

My thanks to Peter Scheie who allowed me to bounce some ideas off of
him.

Regards,
William Fragakis