problem configuring ltsp (fedora 10)

François Patte francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr
Tue Mar 10 07:57:43 UTC 2009

Le 10/03/2009 02:33, Barry R Cisna a écrit :
> F P ,
>
> Do you have any other clients you can try to boot on this server?

Yes.

> Does this client
> get to were you see "Starting X" at bootup?.

No.

> Your second post here sounds like a totally different problem from
> your first post.

Yes, because I don't know what is done at boot time: I can see the boot
process on the monitor: "starting udev" etc. with OK everytime (so I
think that tftp is working and that the client has found the kernel. But
I have absolutly no information on what is wrong after: "adding
permanent udev rules" OK, in the log

> when a client stalls at the tftp error,it is almost certainly the nic is
> not recognized exactly right by the k12linux server.

Is "tftp: client does not accept options" an error message? I don't
know, it seems to me like a warning and there is no information if the
tftpboot needs some specific option and which one. And no information is
provided about the options of tftpboot...

> Possibly a weird IRQ conflict or something similar in the bios
> setting of this TC. I am not familiar with this client. What onboard
> nic does it have?

I don't know! hp doc gives:

processor: VIA C7 1 GHz

video: VIA S3, 16 Mo de mémoire vidéo partagée UMA

connectivity: 10/100 BaseT Fast Ethernet, paire torsadée (RJ-45), Wake
on LAN (WOL), PXE, options USB sans fil (a/b/g)

Anyway, this TC was perfectly working with ltsp 4-2.

> When you run ' tail -f /var/log/messages ' on the server do you see it
> get assigned the correct IP range?

Mar  9 19:43:54 dipankar dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:e0:c5:51:b5:f4 via
ltspbr0
Mar  9 19:43:55 dipankar dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 172.31.100.100 to
00:e0:c5:51:b5:f4 via ltspbr0
Mar  9 19:43:56 dipankar dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 172.31.100.100
(172.31.100.254) from 00:e0:c5:51:b5:f4 via ltspbr0
Mar  9 19:43:56 dipankar dhcpd: DHCPACK on 172.31.100.100 to
00:e0:c5:51:b5:f4 via ltspbr0

I think that this is correct *but* the TC is on the same lan as other
"fat" client booting via dhcp on eth1 (192.168.1.0 network). As soon as
I setup the bridge ltspbr0 takes the control of the dhcpd server and
other clients cannot get an IP via dhcp. I don't care during the test
but it will be a next step to solve this.

But I maybe wrong, and it is important to not have a dhcp server on eth1
(on which the bridge is built). I am not clear on this point and I have
no information about the mechanism of ltsp-dhcp which seems to be the
same as the running dhcp (same pid id).

Moreover, if I can see in ifcfg-ltspbr0 the IP of this interface, I have
 no idea about the process which gives the TC the IP address:
172.31.100.100 ???

Thanks for helping. I am lost!

François
- --