Re: [K12OSN] K12Linux listserv changes...

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Tom Brown wrote:

>I assume the primary goal (aside from fun) of k12ltsp is to make GNU/Linux
>available and useful to schools everywhere.

The primary goal of K12LTSP was to solve a need for one of my customers
(Paul @ Riverdale).

Making it available & useful to others is a secondary goal, we consider
it part of our obligation to give back to the community who suppilied us
with the foundation to achieve our primary goal.

<snip>
>So, ideally, the project will work toward distro-neutrality.
<snip>

Well fortunately K12LTSP is based on LTSP and Red Hat, both of which are
dedicated to releasing their work under the GPL. Almost all of the work
that Paul and I have done on K12LTSP is derived from either Red Hat or
LTSP code.

All of the source code is available if you, or anyone else, would like
to port it to another distro (or OS for that matter). The basics should be
pretty trivial to move, since LTSP supports Red Hat 6.0-7.2, Mandrake 7.2-
8.1, SuSE 6.2-7.2, Debian 2.0-3.0, Caldera 2.3-2.4, and Conectiva 7.0.

There is a similar project based in Germany (http://termserv.berlios.de),
which aims to be distro-neutral but is currently only available for
Debian. Another based in France is built on Mandrake (http://www.abuledu.org/)

-Eric