RE: [K12OSN] Logging in a terminal by MAC address...

Hi all,

On Tuesday, June 04, 2002 3:17 PM, R P Herrold [SMTP:herrold owlriver com]
wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Bert Rolston wrote:
>
> > 1) Would it be possible to log a terminal in by MAC address,
> > then run a script which would run the fwin -auth command?
>
> mmm -- this shows my non-omniscience -- what is 'fwin'

This runs a Win4Lin session in full screen mode, instead of windowed mode.

I forgot to mention this in the message. I covered it in the preceding
message, sorry.

> > 2)	Could I hard code an IP address to that MAC address. I suspect I
can, based on previous messages to the list. I don't know where to start.

> Our friend, the dhcpd.conf stanza entry handles this.  It
> looks like this:
>
>            host pizza {
>             hardware ethernet 00:80:f1:00:53:6d ;
>                 fixed-address 172.16.33.103 ;
>               option host-name "pizza";
>         }
>
> in which my Linux server assigns my Sun pizza box IP:
> 172.16.33.103 based on its MAC address of 00:80:f1:00:53:6d

That's what I thought. Thanks Russ.

As an aside. Would it be possible to use this stanza, but have it parse a
separate file for MAC / IP addresses, and host name?

> for conveneince, I place it after my subnet stanza
>
> -- Russ

Cheers,
Bert