RE: [K12OSN] Pros and Cons of diskless

Hi Bert,

At 09:55 AM 2002/6/19 +1200, Bert Rolston wrote:
If there is a need for Win9x then Win4Lin is a good way of having Linux
terminals and running Win9x.

I did try migrating to Linux completely but was held back because I need some Windows applications.

I have not tried Win4Lin nor Vmware before which need a licence but experienced WINE about 3 years ago. WINE, a simulator of Windows, is a wonderful application but unfortunately there were certain bugs. Any guy on this list has experience on WINE today. Thanks

I am also a subscriber of WINE list but expect to have a pub opinion on this list.

I can Ghost an image from portable CD onto our P75's in 15 - 20 minutes.

Could you please give me more detail in this respect. Can a Ghost image prepared in Windows be copied to Linux including Win OS ?

Re-instating a functional copy of Win9x on LTSP using Win4Lin takes about 5
minutes.

Installing Windows take about 30-45 minutes, depending on the speed of your PC, but installing other applications will take lengthy time, including their configuration.

CONS - how can the client save its work on its own machine
(e.g. - a student needs taking his work home which is a sizable file unable sending the same via Internet nor saving the same on floppy. It is also not convenient going to the server to get it)

Thanks

Stephen Liu