Re: [K12OSN] Samba woes

I found the culprit.  Sure enough, it was msec (Mandrake's automated
security policy tool) that was doing the deed.  On Mandrake 8.2 you find a
selection of perm.x files at /usr/share/msec/

If, for instance, you were running at msec level 3 or 4 (perm.3 or perm.4)
you will find that when the msec cron job kicks off every hour that all file
permissions for /home get reset from whatever you have configured to 711
(perm.3) or 700 (perm.4).  This of course causes havoc with Samba shares
contained under /home (depending on your smb.conf of course).  My quick fix
was to comment out the offending line in the perm.x file:

# /home/*    current    711 # (or 700 as the case may be)

And then, for some reason my Samba config file (modified accordingly for the
new PDC) from Mandrake 8.1 did not play nice on 8.2.  It left me unable to
copy folders to the shared Samba directories.  This was perplexing.
Everything on the *nix side was right, everything on the Samba side seemed
right.  It turned out that I had to change the create & directory masks from
0664 to 0775.  0664 works for the 8.1 box, don't know what's up with 8.2 but
for those that care this might be handy for future reference.  (If you can
read/write a file shouldn't it list by default?  Guess not.  Also, I suppose
for higher security you could set it to 0770, no?)  Set Group ID needs to be
set as well for the *nix side...

Samba.  Works great once well configured, getting there is all of the
battle...

Well, it's working so I'm happy.

BTW, I figured out how to run Mandrake 8.2 at msec level 4 and still have
sshd working.  If any of you use Mandrake at high security you probably know
about that painful situation.  What?!  No ssh?  How silly.

Did you find a resolution for your issue?

James Jensen
"Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess
ourselves.". -- JRR Tolkien