[K12OSN] Hardware config for larger installations

I'm meeting with the district technology director next week in which, among
other things, I plan to propose k12ltsp.  I chatted yesterday with one of the
techs at the high school (she'd never heard of linux, if you can believe it),
and she got VERY excited when I explained how ltsp works: they re-image every
machine in the district over the summer which I think is about 1500 machines.
 With LTSP, all that effort would be unnecessary!

Anyway, there are about 250 machines in each school, and we have six or seven
schools.  My question is how do those of you with larger numbers of terminal
handle all those terminals as far as the server(s) configuration goes?  For
example, if the rule of thumb is 50MB of RAM per user, that would require
12.5GB of RAM in the server, which isn't practical in a single server (yet).
Do you break that up over multiple servers?  What's the max number of clients
you try to handle on a server?  Do you break it along application lines,
department lines, other lines?  Do you break it up like Largo, FL where the
DHCP host just runs the window manager and each application runs on a
separate server?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Petre Scheie