[K12OSN] Re: [OS:N:] Re: [seul-edu] Beyond awareness... moving towardsmigration!

On Fri, 2002-05-03 at 14:29, jam McQuil com wrote:
> I think that Paul's message presents an interesting issue.
>
> Microsoft came down hard on the Portland area schools, just
> as they do everywhere.
>
> Then, when they saw the reaction, they went into damage control
> mode and swung the other way, giving the schools ample time to
> address the audit issue.
>
> What I don't think they realize is that it is inevitable that
> the schools are switching to Linux, and Microsoft just gave
> the schools a little breathing room to do it right.

It's funny, I was doing some consulting for two different County IT
depts., both facing an "Upgrade now, or pay big later" XP scare. Paying
later not only meant a higher fee, but an audit they knew they would
fail.

MS responded to their pushback by lengthening the deadline from April
until August. One county saw it as an opportunity to get their licensing
straightened out (ie comply with the deal) the other said, "I don't
care, they'll get me sooner or later, I'm moving to Linux".

I approached the semi-compliant county and said, "Use this time to
really think about what your needs are. Really look at where Linux can
fit." In the long run, we will still hopefully win there, but it shows
that MS has many angles to this new push of their's.

It would seem that MS is greasing the squeaky wheels, and hoping the
lion's share just comply. They start by extending the deadline, I'm sure
pricing breaks follow, etc.

--jeremy