re[2]: [K12OSN] Beyond awareness... moving towards migration!

	In the interest of making as many migrations as possible feasable, here is a workaround I have been using when I don't have the resources to make a function work in Linux or more frequently I can't work around the politics of putting Linux on the Desktop.

BPBatch has worked quite well for me in those situations.
It gives me some semblance of version control and has almost completely eliminated help desk calls.
I have been using it in an office environment for several years now.

I extract the bpbatch package into the tftpboot directory
Setup a windows machine the way I want it and map the Documents, Favorites and other desired settings directories to the server.
Create an image using the mrbatch tool.
Create a bpbatch.bpb configuration file.
Add a section like the one below to the K12LTSP server's /etc/dhcpd.conf.
Boot the workstation. The workstation grabs the bootloader from the server, reads the configuration file for instructions, partitions the harddrive, extracts a locally cached windows image and proceeds to boot.

add to /etc/dhcpd.conf
group {
	filename "bpbatch";
	option dhcp-class-identifier "PXEClient";
	option vendor-encapsulated-options 01:04:00:00:00:00:ff; use-host-decl-names on;
		host wsxxx {
		hardware ethernet xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;
		fixed-address 192.168.0.10;
		}
	}

Fairly simple to add to a working K12LTSP environment.

Karl Nelson

> I am very interested in this as well.  I would rather edit my current
configuration than install a separate server for classrooms.

Also, does anyone have Accelerated Reader running under Linux using
Wine?  I got it going with one of our schools data loaded on the LTSP
Server's hard drive.  But, I can't seem to get it to run on our Samba
server.  If anyone has jumped into this or has a better way (that is
free), let me know.

Thanks,
Tait Shrum
Bryant Public School District