Re: [K12OSN] linux class

	     There are 3 classic books on networking.

	     The Stevens collection.
	     The Comer collection by Douglas Comer
	     and the definative Computer Networks
	     by Tannenbaum.

	     All of these give the basics of networking.

	     I am not clear that any of them is a good
	     introduction to networking at a practical level.

	     Good for theory, light on hands on work.

	     I have been using the book

	     Linux TCP/IP Network Administration
                         by Scott Mann

	     This is a more practical, hands on, easier
	     read book for people who are just starting to get
	     the idea of networking.

	     There are a couple of top down books that are
	     starting to come out. These are worth some
	     consideration too.

	     You should take a look at www.caida.org/outreach/iec
	     for a large collection of resources about
	     networking classes.

<jam McQuil com> writes:

 % If I had the chance to teach a networking class on any platform, I'd
 % try to make the W. Richard Stevens TCP/IP Illustrated Vol 1 be
 % required reading.
 %
 % Best damn book i've ever read.
 %
 % Volume 2 and 3 are good too, but Vol1 is a must read.
 %
 % Jim McQuillan
 % jam Ltsp org
 %