Re: [K12OSN] How to prepare for K12 project

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 02:22:57PM -0400, Royce Holden wrote:
> One item, What database programs are you using with LTSP, I need to
> clarify.  I am talking about the ?curriculum?-side of things here.  Do
> you teach 6-8 graders with MySQL, php, etc.?  Probably not!

My 8 year-old isn't doing too badly..  8-)  Start the Kids on HTML real
early, and then introduce scripting languages when they are proficient.

Ahem, sorry, that doesn't answer your question..

> Has anyone found a database program that will run on Linux and can be
> taught to 8th graders?  Currently, we?re working with AppleWorks or
> MS-Works.

I've looked long and hard at this, and the best I've found so far is
OpenOffice->ODBC->SQL(any) already installed on K12OS 2.0.  It works, but
a pain to set up, complicated, and not that useful.  MySQL would be
simpler.

I would suggest you start with MySQL.  Kids are *very* good at learning
new languages, and my family excitedly lapped it up.  This is very
different from the m/soft approach, and I suspect many educators will be
unable to put down their existing paradigm on this one..  8-/

This has spurred me into thinking; I'll package-up what I have done locally,
and post the URL for it.

ciao,
Steve