Re: [K12OSN] How to prepare for K12 project

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 07:33:24AM +1200, Steve Wright wrote:
> > Has anyone found a database program that will run on Linux and can be
> > taught to 8th graders?  Currently, we?re working with AppleWorks o
> > MS-Works.

> I've looked long and hard at this, and the best I've found so far is
> OpenOffice->ODBC->SQL(any) already installed on K12OS 2.0.  It works, but
> a pain to set up, complicated, and not that useful.  MySQL would be
> simpler.

> I would suggest you start with MySQL.  Kids are *very* good at learning
> new languages, and my family excitedly lapped it up.  This is very
> different from the m/soft approach, and I suspect many educators will be
> unable to put down their existing paradigm on this one..  8-/

> This has spurred me into thinking; I'll package-up what I have done locally,
> and post the URL for it.

I strongly believe that tools that backend onto SQL/ODBC are the way to
go, because of the opportunities available once your students grow beyond
the GUI tools.  I consider it unfortunate that OpenOffice on K12OS doesn't
seem to meet people's needs.  Is most of the complexity in configuring
ODBC drivers/driver managers?  Perhaps I should make this a target for
Debian, which includes rather complete ODBC support.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer