RE: [K12OSN] Linux vs. Novell (Can you help?)

Hi David,

I'm  migrating across to Linux from Netware 4.10.

Netware has a lot finer access control to directories and files than Linux.
This can be overcome by careful planning  before installation.

Netware 4.xx has NDS, which is a centralised directory service.
Using LDAP on Linux will provide a similar directory service, which will
have to be set up from scratch. I haven't done this, but others on the list
have.

Netware has Zenworks for Desktops, which seriously simplifies machine
configuration and application distribution.
Linux (K12LTSP / LTSP) provides terminal services. Everything happens at
the server, this is even easier than ZenWorks, thanks to Eric, Jim and
others who have put this together.

NetWare has a per seat pricing plan for access.
Linux - $0 per machine to access server.

If he still wants Novell NDS but Linux networking he could buy NDS for
Linux.

Hope this helps.

If you ahve any more questions send them to  bertr wanganui-city school nz