Re: [K12OSN] Linux vs. Novell (Can you help?)

Here is my two cents worth and what I am up to......

We run a Novell 5 network and my boss bleeds orange.  Three years ago, the boss let
me set up a Linux "test" box.  To make a long story shorter, we run a Linux
mailserver, linux internal DNS, and linux webservers (mounted to Novell servers
btw).  Our Linux options have bailed our butts out of major fires going on three
years now....

We like Novell...we like it a lot.  We like Linux...we like it a lot.  We think
that they can co-exist and work well together.

Even though the boss bleeds orange, we are looking to run a mixed environment under
our Novell network which includes Linux desktops and Linux terminals due to future
licensing concerns and the need to recycle equipment.  I am currently working on a
project to log in Linux desktops to the Novell network using ncpfs.  Our
requirements for workstations of any type is that users authenticate to the Novell
network, access word processing (openoffice for us), have access to their Novell
home directory, and have access to our network printers.  This will allow us to
deploy/redeploy workstations as research stations in libraries, develop internet
kiosks, etc...  we are real close.

Our network is an IP/IPX network to support some legacy programs and hardware that
has been real stable for us.

We have looked at the E-Directory solution but believe that we have to make this
work before we can invest in that solution.

My opinions and thoughts are my own and do not reflect the attitudes of my
employer,

Stu