Re: [K12OSN] Linux vs. Novell (Can you help?)

Aaron,

I can tell you what I have so far.....

The overall scheme of my frankenstein is:

linux workstation boots up to generic user in user mode 3.  only two users
reside on linux workstation, root and generic.  generic has access to scripts
such as loginhsstudent, loginhsfaculty, etc....
i use this because of the differences in paths to user home drives, ie. hs
faculty logs in as user.fac and hs student logs in as user.9.stu.. hs fac home
drive servername\volumename\home\user compared to hs student home drive
servername\volumename\home\students\9\user.

my loginhsstudent script prompts the user for username and grade level.  it uses
the ncpmount command to login to the novell server.  ncpmount prompts for a
password.  if a successful login, the script creates symbolic links in generics
home drive to facilitate the starting of X.  the files for these links must
already be in the user's home directory on the novell side (use a batch file to
copy these files).  the script then starts X.  when the user logs out of X, the
script  ncpumount's the novell server and deletes the symbolic links created by
the script.

i know this is ugly but seems to work.  i am currently working on the script and
i am now to the point of creating the links.

ideas always welcome....

stu