From: k12osn-admin redhat com [mailto:k12osn-admin redhat com]On Behalf
Of jkinz ultranet com
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 10:49 AM
To: k12osn redhat com
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] HELP: Monitors and Lab Temperature

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 10:45:12AM -0400, aust_txv ACCESS-K12 org wrote:
> Hi Warwick,
> I am sure others will tell you "cold and clean" equipment is happy
> equipment.  We run AC in 5 of our labs and 1 server room in an air
> conditioned building.  Clean is a good idea.  Air handlers help a ton.
> Keep'em cool and clean.    CRT issue...here's a stretch, how about the
> ocean air re-acting with the material  on the inside of the tube...

CRT issue:
You mean the ocean air is somehow getting inside the CRT tube, which is
a vacuum tube ? Without a huge puff of smoke and sparks ?
And the montitor is somehow continuing to function in a diminished capacity
?
Respectfully - are you gently kidding someone ? :-)

> Tom Ventresco
> Austintown Local Schools
>
> --On Tuesday, May 07, 2002, 6:07 PM +0200 Warwick Chapman
> <budgee glenwoodhighschool co za> wrote:
>
> > Howdy
> >
> > I am about at pulling-hair-out stage with respect to CRT monitors at
> > this school! Age, I can understand is an issue, as some of them
> > are 5+ years old, but so very many of them are going dark! Some
> > are so dull you can hardly see anything. Surely there must be a
> > common cause of this. It is costing the earth to sort them out.

Are these monitors going completely dark with no image at all
or are they just getting dimmer ?  How big are they and how often
are they physically moved ?  Also is there a particular brand
and or model which is having the problem ?

What voltage does ZA use for AC wall current ?  (there may be an
issue with the CRT power supply),

Aging always causes monitors to become dimmer.  The chemical coatings
on the inside of the front of the tube are wearing out after years of
being electrically stimulated.  Just like a flourescent light fixture
which produces its "light" the same way.

Heat can certainly accelerate the aging of both the CRT and the computer
itself.  Especially with the newer hotter CPU and graphics devices
cooling is even more essential.

if you don't already do the following these ideas may help a little bit:
Try slowing the aging by having configuring your software to drop the
monitor
into energy saving modes whenever the cpu is idle for more than <N> minutes
where N is 5 or 10 minutes.  Or some other value agreeable to your local
user population.  Also - adjust the contrast and bright controls to less
than full bright and highest contrast.  This will also slow the aging.

Its unclear if shutting them off at night extends their life or stresses
them even more than overnighting in "sleep" mode.

Personally I run mine at full bright and high contrast because I prefer
them that way, but there is a cost.

If any part of the above offended please be assured that it was
not meant to.