Re: [K12OSN] Looking for a few good beta testers

I've been a lurker on this list for awhile, but this posting got my
attention.  We have used LTSP this entire year at Yorktown High
(Arlington, VA) and I love it.  We had to move away from the K12 distro,
however, and ended up rolling our own installation.  We needed to do
this because while the K12 distro was truly turn-key in terms of
installation, we found that it was not robust enough for our high school
students.  They were quickly able to break the gnome and kde desktop
environments, and to generally consume enough resources to bring the
system to a crawl.  It caused lots of problems and interfered with
instruction.  Here is what we did to remedy the situation:

1. Icewm instead of Gnome or KDE
2. Koffice instead of staroffice
3. Added quotas to prevent excessive use of the system by any individual

We couldn't have done this without the help of Robert Melton (thanks,
Robert!!), who kindly volunteered his time to work with us.

I don't want to have to keep bothering Robert, and I want to hook up
with a broader LTSP community to help assure our success in the future.
We now have two servers with removable hard drives, so we are in a
position to test the new distro after school without interfering with
the daily routine.  It had been a long time (9 months!) since we last
looked at the K12 distro, so I'm game to check it out again.

jeff elkner
yorktown high school
arlington, va