Re: [K12OSN] 7.3 Beta

On 12 May 2002, Shahms E. King wrote:

>I don't know about KDM, but for GDM all that is involved in creating a
>new session type to to drop an executable file into the appropriate
>directory (/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions or /etc/gdm/Sessions) and you *should*
>be off and running.  I haven't done this in a while, and if RedHat has
>some fancy-shmancy script to auto-generate all the availible sessions
>for all installed ?DM, then it probably won't work (I don't think they
>do, but they used to do exactly that for window manager menus, talk
>about a pain in the butt...)
>
>--Shahms

Well, it helps if you remember to make /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/??? executable.

KDE still looks like it is a pain in the butt. From kdmrc:

 [X-*-Greeter]
 # Session types the users can select. It is advisable to have "default" and
 # "failsafe" listed herein, which is also the default.
 # Note, that the meaning of this value is entirely up to your Session program.
 SessionTypes=default,kde,failsafe,gnome

and of course the Xsession script has a case statement defining default,
kde, failsafe, gnome. Unless I'm missing something (which has been proven
before ;-), icewm would have to be added to kdmrc & Xsessions. Yuck, I hope
I'm wrong.

-Eric