RE: [K12OSN] Tape drive problem .......... can anyone shed some light on this???

Hi John,

> I haven't dug into the driver source, but I thought the basic SCSI tape commands
> were pretty generic. Assuming the device didn't have any physical problems
> I've never had any problems with any SCSI tape drive I've tried to use.

I'm getting to the stage where I will have to down the server and put the drive into a system I know.

The only thing I haven't been able to eliminate is hardware failure.

This is a brand new drive, it hasn't written to a single tape yet! All of the hardware is new.

MT won't do anything except eject tapes.

I've tried using the TAR examples Dan YOung and Peter Scheie sent on the 7th and 8th. They both give me

/dev/nst0 (or st0): Input /output error

Which is very informative.

> As root, have you tried something simple, like 'tar -cvf /dev/st0 .', or
> even just 'cat somefile >/dev/st0' ?

I just tried CAT and got the same thing. I/O error and absolute silence from the tape drive.

Time to shut this puppy down and test the drive on another machine.

Cheers,
Bert