Re: [K12OSN] Tape drive problem .......... can anyone shed some light on this???

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 08:46:20AM +1200, Bert Rolston wrote:

> I'm getting to the stage where I will have to down the server and put
> the drive into a system I know.

> The only thing I haven't been able to eliminate is hardware failure.

> This is a brand new drive, it hasn't written to a single tape yet! All
> of the hardware is new.

> MT won't do anything except eject tapes.

> I've tried using the TAR examples Dan YOung and Peter Scheie sent on
> the 7th and 8th. They both give me

> /dev/nst0 (or st0): Input /output error

> Which is very informative.

Hmm, are you sure that the tapes you're using are *compatible* with this
particular drive?  Not every medium that physically fits the drive is
necessarily usable with it, and that's what these persistent errors
sound like to me.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer