RE: [K12OSN] Tape drive problem .......... can anyone shed some light on this???

Hi Russ,

> > > As previously mentioned, the MT command will eject the
> > > tape, but nothing else seems to work.
> that should be enough
>
> does     mt status     return tape load status, and so forth

This is one of the few commands that elicits a response.

here is the output of  mt -f /dev/nst0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0
Tape block size 0 bytes, Density code 0x32 (no translation)
Soft error count since last status=0
general status bits on (41010000)
 BOT ONLINE_IM_REP_EN

mt -f /dev/nst0 offline    will eject the tape

Retension, rewind, seek, and some other options don't seem to get a response.
I suspect some of the options won't work until there is data on the tape.

When I try using anything to write to the drive I get an I/O error.

I've checked all cables and terminators.

The tape drive uses the second channel on the dual channel SCSI controller, HDDS are on channel 1.

> -- ?
>
> > > Do I have to give Linux some parameters to recognise this
> > > drive, ie, compression ratios, block sizes, mickey mouses'
> > > current phone number?
>
> If mt sees it, you are fine -- try:
>
>     cd /etc ; tar cf /dev/st0 ./*

Tried and failed.

The following error message is produced.

/dev/nst0 (or st0): Input / output error.

Same for CAT.

As I mentioned to John, I'll pull the drive and test on a different machine.
I'll try to get it working in Win98 which has some gotchas for the SLR7 as well. W98 doesn't have native SCSI tape drive support.

I've got another box with RH7.2 on it. This will become my proxy and squidguard server. Might try that as a test bed.

> and it should just work -- restore by:
>
>     mt offline
> #	tape reqinds and ejects -- re-insert it

MT does eject the tape. It doesn't rewind because it hasn't been written to.

Cheers,
Bert