Re: [K12OSN] mapping a drive/home dir via Samba?

David -
Admittedly, I have never needed (in linux) to invoke programs upon login, so I am certainly not the best resource for answering this question, but here's a shot:

In an approximation of the logon script, it could be put in the users .bashrc file, although I do not believe that would be the best place. I have seen some odd fallout from putting things like that in .bashrc, and I do not believe it is really intended to be used for such things. Another option would be to put something in inittab to do this. The problem with this if you use the "mount it somewhere in the user's homedir" approach, is that I imagine it would be very long ( a script to mount each user's old home dir within their new homedir) and it would make boot take a very long time indeed. I would not say that this is an acceptable alternative.
I suppose the best idea (i can come up with anyway, without doing a bunch of digging) would be to use an fstab entry to mount (more or less) the whole filesystem of the old file server to somewhere (/mnt/oldserver perhaps) and then create a pointer to it in each user's home directory, pointing to their old directory on the old tree. Of course this brings with it the issue of permissions and what not, and mounting that whole filesystem at once would not (AFAIK) allow you to do any sort of fine-grained access control.
One way I see to work around that would be to mount it read-only, and make the users store their files on the new server. I know you're attached to your old server, but I would see this as a stop-gap solution, assuming that the new server has plenty of space for your user's files; migrating away from the old server eventually may be wise since it does not support the best solution for your chosen platform. Although using SMB to make linux servers talk to windows boxes works very well, it is my experience that using it linux to linux (or linux to windows servers) in multi-user environments can be limiting (as we see here) since it is not designed with the peculiarities of a linux system in mind. If you do come up with an elegant solution, please do post it, as I would be curious to see if the solution would be applicable to a similar situation I am likely to be facing soon and this is probably the best advice I can give on it.

-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-

sounds great, but where would I put it?  I need for this command to
execute when a user logs in or when the server comes up.  Security is not
a big issue for me since I'll be using it primarily in a K-8 school and
the kids here are quite respectful of the network (only thing that has
happened in 3 years is one mouse ball was stolen...and I caught the kid
and he paid for a new mouse)  (we're k-8 600 kids)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask vcs u52 k12 me us