Re: [K12OSN] Turbo Pascal in Linux

At 06:02 AM 5/15/2002, you wrote:

We still need TP7 for 3 years though, while those who started with
it, finish it off.

Why? I can understand the "fierce resistance" by the computer studies teacher, but don't you think it is unrealistic to expect anything in the high technology field to be in place for long periods? If students learn one thing now, then that is what they will have forever? BTW: Where IS my copy of Visicalc and Wordstar? Static computing is definitely not the real world that they will enter after school.

Even Rumbaugh, Booch and Jacobson have been supplanted by UML (whoops! different soapbox - sorry to mention computer science tools - our education system is teaching programmers, and not software engineers, and _definitely_ not computer scientists!)

It is the whole argument that the concept and not the tool is what should be taught in school. Your environment seems to be stuck in the tool.....can I sell you a nice Fortran compiler? It is on an 8 inch floppy disk.

I hope you get to push back against the computer studies teacher. Kylix is a good move, but it will not be the end of the path, just a way station on the journey.

Kirk